Google+ The Daily Jewel: Happy Halloween #DailyJewel - Baby Bat from Dana Schneider Jewelry

Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween #DailyJewel - Baby Bat from Dana Schneider Jewelry

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

From the #DailyJewel with an assist from Dana Schneider Jewelry!

Dana Schneider is the go-to jeweler for films with edge...I first found her when she did the Rune jewelry for my favorite YA Series - The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.


"I love this little guy. I used a fruit bat as my model. He's cast of solid sterling silver."

ABOUT DANA:
I am the jeweler that made the Mockingjay pin for the Hunger Games movie. I have made jewelry for over 50 movies at this point. This year I will have 11 movies coming out that I made jewelry for. Wolverine 2 , The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones, G.I. Joe 2, Wolves, and Catching Fire are among them. This year also I have made jewelry for GLEE, Nashville, Go On, Californication and Ray Donovan which will air June 30th on Showtime.

My first job after graduating from Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in Sculpture ( not jewelry ), was working in the jewelry repair department of Tiffany & Co. in New York City. Many of the things I learned there I still apply to my designs today. After about 2 years at Tiffany's, I decided to start my own business and have been making jewelry ever since. Before moving to L.A. in 1999, I did do trade shows, sell through showrooms and sold to stores including Barney's in New York City. My jewelry has been on the covers of Elle, Harpers Bazaar , Mademoiselle, and many others. I found though, that it wasn't that fulfilling for me. I just felt something was missing. I was sitting in a movie theater in upstate New York in December of 1998 when I saw the movie trailer for " The Matrix ". It was then and there that I decided to move to L.A. and try to break into making jewelry for movies. 
When I moved to LA and it was almost a year before I worked on my first movie there. I didn't know anyone who could help me and it was just sheer determination that got me through. If you look on my website in the " books " section, all of that work had been made before I moved to LA so I had a lot to show costume designers and directors when I did finally meet them. 

On my website, www.danaschneider.com you can see a big portfolio of my film work. I make everything myself. From carving all my own original wax models to the final finishing. I do not have an assistant, ( nor do I want one ) so I periodically have to close my ETSY shop to focus on my film work which will always take top priority for me. I rarely ever take a " vacation " .

...and from her Etsy Shop:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis